Rachel Woods from Marie Claire UK spoke to model and writer Rachel Woods and looked into what it’s really like to be a model. She shared ten interesting facts about a model’s life, things most of us wouldn’t even suspect!
1. Develop a thick skin. A lot more work goes into re-touching images than most people realise. Some models can be completely altered in pictures from the way they normally look. There are many tricks used to create that perfect image – I even once had my ears superglued back because a photographer thought they stuck out too much.
2. It is ok to eat. The majority of models actually eat a normal healthy diet and even enjoy the odd burger and milkshake. But don’t tell anyone…
3. Models don’t always get paid for shoots. Especially for new models, many shoots compensate in trade; either with photos or clothes. Sometimes you may not end up with anything at all.
4. Shoots are not always as glamorous as the photos portray. There is a lot more going on behind a photo shoot, the model may have to work on a really cold or hot day wearing completely the wrong type of clothes for the season, have had 100 outfit changes or had to pose in really uncomfortable positions to get the shots.
5. You have to be on your guard. Sometimes someone will try and capture models at times when they may not want to be photographed. Not cool.
6. Models unfortunately don’t actually get to keep the clothes. Sometimes you may get lucky and get to keep something, but this rarely happens.
7. Many models (apart from supermodels) find it tricky getting regular bookings. There can often be periods of time with nothing but castings before work starts coming in.
8. Modelling can involve a lot of waiting around: to get your hair or makeup done, for the photographer to set up, to get your photos back, waiting for runway shows to start or to be seen at castings. So you often see models with a book or iphone in hand.
9. Your expectations won’t always match reality. There can be the rare occasions where a model can turn up at a shoot expecting one thing (e.g. a fashion shoot) and find that the photographer wants to try and change it to a topless or nude shoot.
10. Models can be any age. There are so many different types of modelling, if you have the right look, there are plenty of opportunities out there. It’s never too late.