Remember when Kendall Jenner was just one of Kim’s adorable baby sisters on Keeping Up With the Kardashians? (Or even Brody’s rambunctious younger sibling on The Hills? Yeah, you remember that one.) Fast-forward to now and she’s sought-after model—walking some of the most top-notch runways from New York to Paris —and red carpet star KENDALL JENNER. (Or sometimes, just Kendall.)
Hard to believe she’s just 18, or 19, actually, because today is her birthday! And despite her youth, she’s actually schooling us on some style tips. So in honor of the big day and her illustrious title of Glamour Style Icon of the Week, let’s celebrate with the sartorial lessons we’ve learned from Kendall Jenner, in chronological order.
1. A Little White Dress Is Just as Important as a Little Black One: At the 2013 American Music Awards, Kendall (with her little sis Kylie) made a very strong case for always having a little white dress on hand.
2. Expensive Does Not Equal Gorgeous: At the Met Gala this year, the budding red carpet star proved in a Topshop gown that you don’t have to wear designer to look like a million bucks (even though she could so wear any label she wants).
3. Make a Good Impression on Your Boss: At her Cannes Film Festival debut, Kendall opted for a black-and-white dress from the Chanel resort 2014 collection. Which makes sense, since the model walked the French design house’s spring 2014 supermarché themed show in February. LIFE lesson learned: always make a good impression on your boss, in this case, Karl Lagerfeld.
4. Double-Stick Tape Can Be Your Very Best Friend: At the Much Music Awards, Kendall turned quite a few heads in this embellished and slit-way-up-to-here dress by Fausto Puglisi — and showed us that it’s always good to have lots of double-sided tape in your styling kit.
5. Know the Power of the Leather Dress: Along with an LBD and a trench coat, a leather dress is something every girl needs in her closet — especially if it’s something like this to-die-for Balmain army-looking piece.
6. Comfort Is, Well, Chic: Sweatpants can be just as chic as tuxedo trousers, as long as you wear them this way. (Kim K. photobomb alert!)
7. Always Keep ‘Em Guessing: Kendall stunned on the Paris Fashion Week runway in this strappy number at Sonia Rykiel. And please revisit the lesson above on double-sided tape. There’s nothing quite like the element of surprise when it comes to personal style.
8. Sheer Black Hose are Back: If Kate Middleton didn’t already bring back sheer hosiery, Kendall Jenner is totally going to make it happen. Just watch.