Fashion emergencies like a broken heel or a lost button may plague us all, but you’ve got to admit that with the whole world watching, celebrities have it tougher than most in this department. So, what do the red carpet stars do to avoid unsightly—and often embarrassing—wardrobe mishaps? At last night’s Etienne Aigner handbag launch event at Bloomingdale’s in New York City, we asked Micaela Erlanger, one of Hollywood’s most impressive stylists, just that—and walked away with expert tips that she gives her superstar clients such as Lupita Nyong’o and Michelle Dockery.
According to Erlanger it’s all about being prepared, which means carrying these five (small) things in your handbag:
1. A pre-threaded needle: For on-the-fly fixes.
2. Top stick: The double-sided tape will close any gaps between buttons on a blouse or can be a quick fix if you’ve lost a button.
3. Gal pals: For removing deodorant and makeup smudges.
4. A Tide-to-Go pen: For stain removal.
5. Dryer sheets: Rub the underside of the clothes with them to get rid of static cling.